Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Don't be too quick to judge!

Had a bit of a scare today.  One particular row of tomatoes had started to turn yellow with wispy foliage.  What was causing this?  Of course I immediately think the worst and look up tomato diseases and become convinced its Fusarium Wilt.  I looked it up in Wikipedia (i'm addicted to wiki), and learned everything I could about Fusarium.  Especially the fact that once a plant has it the only treatment is to pull it up and burn it.  I became even more concerned.  I have put too much work into these tomatoes to start such draconian measures.  There HAD to be another way I kept thinking. 


 



So delving  further into my research I discover that Fusarium Wilt also causes discoloration of the vascular tissue in the plant.  And it was proper to check this for confirmation.  So being my atypical self, I recklessly went to the plants and cut off a large stem to check for this discoloration.  Much to my surprise and a bit to my relief there WAS NO vascular discoloration!



So now I am relieved but still confused.  Then I did something I should have done before any of this had me the least bit concerned.. I researched the Lutescent Tomato plant.  It turns out they are SUPPOSED to look like this!  It is just a healthy happy plant.  Only its a LUTESCENT!  Also known as a variety of tomato called Honor Bright.

this is from www.victoryseeds.com ....

"90 days, indeterminate — According to Alexander Livingston himself, 'Honor Bright' was, "a sport found in a field of Stone tomatoes in 1894" and released in 1897. The plant is quite unique exhibiting yellowish (lutescent), regular leafed foliage, cream colored flowers, medium sized fruits that turn from green to white to yellow to orange to red.

VSC Note: We obtained seeds, called 'Lutescent', from tomato collector Craig LeHoullier who located them within the National Seed Storage Laboratory. They fit the description of 'Honor Bright' and are presumed to be one in the same.

A very unique and interesting tomato. The plants look sickly with young green leaves turning pale yellow. This is its normal appearance attributed to a specific genetic trait. The color changes of the fruit is also an unusual show."

.............................................................................................................

Its a beautiful, rare and hard to grow Lutescent tomato plant.  Thank goodness I did a bit of research before I threw in the towel on these guys.

I am happy I suspected something 'not quite right' when the neighboring different varieties looked vigorous and healthy.  

Moral of the story-- Don't be too quick to judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment